SA MARITIME HERITAGE WORKSHOP
You are invited to attend Marine Heritage Workshop at the Port Adelaide Maritime Museum at 5.00pm on Saturday 23 October 2010, followed by dinner at the Lighthouse Inn Hotel at 7:30pm.
“The aim of the meeting is examine possibilities of upgrading marine heritage sites including lighthouses, maritime museums and marine sites on methods to increase tourism. As a united group examine options to apply for available funding from National and State governments and the private sector.”
We have arranged a Guest speaker from the Marine Section of the Department of Environment and Heritage who will provide the meeting with information on Government support options etc.
The aim of the workshop:
- Encourage interactive discussions to exchange ideas
- Promote the Maritime History of South Australia
- Develop a strategy to increase the appeal of maritime sites to the tourist industry
- Utilize the expertise and financial support that may be available through relative Government agencies.
Considerations to successful outcomes from the workshop are:
- We identify the tourist potential of our Heritage Sites.
- The develop a strategy to identify the commercial or semi commercial potential.
- The develop a strategy to examine the potential for some of the development costs to be sourced from the commercial sector.
There is a large national and international interest in visiting lighthouses and maritime heritage sites.Therefore with a structured promotional campaign we could expect to assist the increase in SA tourism and strengthen any claims for funding or assistance.
A suggestion which can be discussed is the:
Introduction of a SA Maritime Heritage Passport in booklet format which defines key maritime points of interest in South Australia. The main focus would be to encourage people to visit the sites listed in the passport. At centres we would determine a suitable office ie Tourist Centre etc with facilities to have the passport stamped at each location. The passport could be completed in one journey or in sections and on completion of the passport stamped in each location a tear out form could be filled in and sent to a central point (This Department or Tourist Central Office) which will issue a certificate eg “SOUTH AUSTRALIA MARITIME HERITAGE - TOP TOURIST AWARD”
This could be introduced with minimal cost and the potential for advertising from operators of facilities and services in the locations featured in the booklet could help offset the cost of printing.
I am sure there are many exciting ideas which can bring to the forum. It would be very sad if in the future the maritime history of South Australia could only be located in books and pictures.
The meeting will conclude with a dinner in the Lighthouse Inn Hotel at 7.30pm (At your Cost A’ La Carte Menu - meals from $10.90 www.thelighthousehotel.com.au and the Port Adelaide Lighthouse will be lit during the evening.
To register your interest or for more information please email to email@example.com or telephone Graeme Davis on 0418 882 254
- Whether you will be attending the dinner
- Names of additional persons in your group