Lighthouses of Australia Inc
Home State Indexes Bulletin About LoA Membership Resources & Links Contact LoA Search Sitemap

Lighthouses of Queensland


State Indexes > QLD > Cleveland Point Lighthouse

The Cleveland Point Lighthouse

The Cleveland Point Lighthouse has been relocated and faithfully restored by the community that it served for over 110 years.

The Point Cleveland Lighthouse and the New Beacon
The Cleveland Point Lighthouse and the New Beacon
Photograph: Jean-Marc Doumenc


Last Operation (1976)

LOCATION: Latitude 27° 31'S; Longitude 153° 17'E (Map
OPERATOR Queensland Department of Harbours and Marine
CHARACTER:
LIGHT SOURCE:
POWER SOURCE: Mains Electricity
INTENSITY:
ELEVATION:
RANGE:
HEIGHT:

The Point Cleveland Lighthouse Has Been Faithfully Restored The Cleveland Point lighthouse has been faithfully restored 
Photograph Courtesy: Grant Maizels 
History

The Cleveland Point Lighthouse was the second light to be erected on this site, replacing an earlier beacon established in 1847.

This lighthouse was built in 1864 and though being the the typical timber framed Queensland lighthouse is unusual because it is hexagonal rather than round and is clad with weather boards instead of the metal cladding common elsewhere in this state.

It was built to accommodate Cleveland, a once a thriving port in the middle of last century.

In 1872 the existing lens was replaced with the one from the Moreton Island light.

Two red sectors were installed in 1920 to indicate shoals off Peel Island, Cleveland Point, Banana Island and Raby Bay.

In 1934, the lighthouse was converted from kerosene to electric power. At this time the City Electric Light Company Limited became the responsible authority for the light.

The first local experiments in the use of laser beams as navigational aids were carried out from this lighthouse in 1969.

The light's second keeper, James Troy 1877-1927, holds the Australian record for being the longest serving lightkeeper at one lighthouse.

In 1976, the lighthouse was moved to a new location 30 metres to make way for a new beacon. Here it stood until renovated by the Redlands Shire Council in 1978.


The Point Cleveland Lighthouse
The relocated Cleveland Point Lighthouse
Photograph: Brian Lord

The Cleveland Point Lighthouse
Photograph courtesy: Grant Maizels

Access

The lighthouse is easily accessible in a public reserve at Cleveland Point a short distance from Cleveland.

 

The Surrounding Area


Aerial view of the Cleveland Point Lighthouse
Photograph: Winsome Bonham


Special Thanks to:

  • Brian Lord for Photographs
  • Grant Maizels for Photographs
  • Jean-Marc Doumenc for Photographs
  • Winsome Bonham for Photograph

Sources:

  • Brian Lord
  • Redland Shire Council
  • Redland Library
  • Redland Shire Heritage Study
  • Courier Mail
  • Peter Ludlow

Page last updated:
Page created:
07/08/05
13/09/98

Site constructed by: 
Malcolm S Macdonald t/as Lighthouse Computer Training & Development (1997-2001)
Copyright All rights reserved.
1997-2001 Malcolm S Macdonald and individual contributors as acknowledged.
2002-2007 Lighthouses of Australia Inc (LoA Inc) and individual contributors as acknowledged. & Lighthouses of Australia Inc (2002-2007)