Lighthouses of Australia Inc
Home State Indexes Bulletin About LoA Membership Resources & Links Contact LoA Search Sitemap

Lighthouses of South Australia


State Indexes > SA > Cape Banks Lighthouse

The Cape Banks Lighthouse near Carpenter Rocks


Cape Banks panorama
Photograph: Garry Searle


The Cape Banks Lighthouse is of technological interest for the 14-sided Deville lantern room, one of only three survivors of the type.


Operation

LOCATION: Latitude 37 54' S, Longitude 140 23' E (Map)
OPERATOR: Australian Maritime Safety Authority
CHARACTER: Group Flashing 2 in 10 sec
LIGHT SOURCE: 120v 1000w Tungsten Halogen Lamp
POWER SOURCE: Mains Electricity, Standby Battery
INTENSITY: 20,000 cd
ELEVATION: 27.6 Metres
RANGE: 15 N Miles
HEIGHT: 15 Metres

Cape Banks Lighthouse && cottages (now demolished) 1921
Cape Banks Lighthouse & Cottages (now demolished) 1921
Photograph Courtesy: Port MacDonnell & District Maritime Museum


Cape Banks Lighthouse
The Cape Banks Lighthouse & Cairn
Photograph: AMSA

History

The lighthouse was established in 1883. The original structure was 7.5 metres in height and was made from local limestone. The lantern was used from the old MacDonnell Lighthouse (demolished in 1882) at Cape Northumberland.

The original character was alternating revolving, showing one red and two white faces. The illuminant was vaporized kerosene with an incandescent mantle. 3 groups (3 lamps in each group) 2 white and 1 red.

In May 1928, it was raised to 15 metres. With this upgrade upgrade the light was demanned and the keeper's cottages have since been demolished.

Until 1976 the light was run on a Dalen Acetylene Gas system which mixed the gas with air and also rotated a lens. It was then converted to electric in using the lens from St Francis Island.

  

Access

The lighthouse reserve is accessible to the public. The road is a sealed bitumen to Carpenter Rocks, then unsealed for the last several kilometres to the lighthouse. There are no tours.


The Surrounding Area


Aerial view of the Cape Banks Lighthouse
Photograph: Winsome Bonham


The Cape Banks Lighthouse From Road
The Cape Banks Lighthouse from the road
Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas
Cape Banks Lighthouse
The Cape Banks Lighthouse
Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas

Special Thanks to:

  • Ed Kavaliunas for Photographs
  • The Port MacDonnell & District Maritime Museum for Historical Photographs
  • Veronica Jenkin
  • Winsome Bonham for Photograph
  • Garry Searle for Photograph

Sources:

  • Alan Foote
  • AMSA
  • Brian Lord
  • Lighthouses of South Australia by R Parsons

Page last updated:
Page created:
19/02/99
30/04/98

Site constructed by: 
Malcolm S Macdonald t/as Lighthouse Computer Training & Development (1997-2001)
Copyright All rights reserved.
1997-2001 Malcolm S Macdonald and individual contributors as acknowledged.
2002-2007 Lighthouses of Australia Inc (LoA Inc) and individual contributors as acknowledged. & Lighthouses of Australia Inc (2002-2007)