Lighthouses of Australia Inc
Home State Indexes Bulletin About LoA Membership Resources & Links Contact LoA Search Sitemap

Lighthouses of South Australia


State Indexes > SA > Point Malcolm Lighthouse

The Point Malcolm Lighthouse

The Point Malcolm Lighthouse is Australia's only inland lighthouse, and may be the only inland lighthouse in the Southern Hemisphere.

The Point Malcolm Lighthouse
The Point Malcolm Lighthouse and keeper's cottage
Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas



The Point Malcolm Lighthouse overlooks a narrow stretch of water between Lake Albert and Lake Alexandria
Photograph: Kristie Eggleston


Last Operation (1931)

LOCATION: Latitude    S, Longitude    E
OPERATOR: -
CHARACTER: White light which initially revolved with a flash every 10 seconds - altered to a fixed white light in November 1887.
LIGHT SOURCE: -
POWER SOURCE: -
INTENSITY: -
ELEVATION: 25 metres
RANGE: 10 kilometres
HEIGHT: 7 metres


Inspecting the Point Malcolm Lighthouse
Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas

History

The Point Malcolm Lighthouse was built in 1878 on the eastern side of the narrows between Lake Alexandria and Lake Albert, opposite Narrung, a small Aboriginal community. 

The importance of the Murray River trade and the expected increase in the exporting of riverine-delivered produce via Port Victor (now Victor Harbour) led to the decision to build the lighthouse at Point Malcolm. The lighthouse was built to assist ships that were passing through Lake Alexandria on their way to Lake Albert or the ports on the Murray River.

The lighthouse was built by Richard Trenouth, a well-known builder from Strathalbyn, at a cost of 1,043 for both the tower and keeper's cottage. The light was first exhibited on 1 February 1878.

The lighthouse was turned off in September 1931, due a decline in river traffic. The switching off was stated in Notice to Mariners No. 3 of 1931, issued by the South Australian Harbours Board.

The keepers' cottage and adjacent buildings are boarded up and derelict, but basically intact. The keepers were self-sufficient and sold extra produce to locals. They stored it in a small cave near the riverbank, which was cool and damp, while they waited for a boat to transport it to town for sale. A hole in the ground near the lighthouse dropped immediately to the cave below.

An automatic "light on a pole" has been installed next to the old tower, to guide recreational and commercial traffic using the river and lake system.

The concrete tower appears to be in relatively good condition, but the accompanying keepers' cottages are deserted and dilapidated.


Access

The Point Malcolm Lighthouse is about 18 kilometres along a dirt road leading from the Princes Highway, heading north from Meningie. Just after Ashville, turn left down the Narrung/Poltalloch Road. The lighthouse is located on private land belonging to the nearby Polltalloch Station, a nineteenth century homestead which owned much of the surrounding land - it is advisable to seek permission from the owners. The lighthouse is easily accessible from the road. 

Narrung, a small Aboriginal community on the other side of the narrows, is accessible by a small cable car ferry which crosses the waterway from near the lighthouse.


The derelict Point Malcolm Lighthouse keepers cottage
Photograph: Kristie Eggleston



The Point Malcolm Lighthouse at dusk
Photograph: John Ibbotson

The Point Malcolm Lighthouse
Photograph: John Ibbotson

Features

South Australian Expedition (Part 1) Bulletin Apr 00


The Point Malcolm Lighthouse, keeper's cottage and other ruins
Photograph: Kristie Eggleston


The Surrounding Area


Deborah Taylor checks out the small cave used to store produce
Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas


Special Thanks to:

  • Ed Kavaliunas for Photographs
  • John Ibbotson for Photographs
  • Kristie Eggleston for Photographs

Sources:

  • Lighthouses of Australia: Images from the End of an Era by John Ibbotson
  • Lighthouses of South Australia by Ronald Parsons

Page last updated:
Page created:
24/03/05
23/03/05

Copyright 1997-2001 Lighthouse Computer Training & Development
2002-2006 Lighthouses of Australia Inc. All rights reserved