Lighthouses of Australia Inc
Home State Indexes Bulletin About LoA Membership Resources & Links Contact LoA Search Sitemap

Lighthouses of South Australia


State Indexes > SA > Point Lowly Lighthouse

Point Lowly Lighthouse 3
The Point Lowly Lighthouse
Photograph: Whyalla Tourist Centre

The Point Lowly Lighthouse

The Lowly Point Lighthouse stands out on a point jutting into the northern end of the Spencer Gulf.

This light was re-activated in 1995 by the Whyalla City Council.


Operation

LOCATION: Latitude 32° 50' S; Longitude 137° 48' E (Map)
OPERATOR: Whyalla City Council
CHARACTER: Group Flash 8 Every 40 Seconds
LIGHT SOURCE: 120v 1000w Tungsten Halogen Lamp
POWER SOURCE: Mains Electricity, Standby Generator
INTENSITY: 1,000,000 cd
ELEVATION:
RANGE: 26 Nautical Miles
HEIGHT: 22.8 metres

Point Lowly Lighthouse 1
The Point Lowly Lighthouse
Photograph: Whyalla Tourist Centre
History

The lighthouse was built in 1883 after the conditions were found to be unsatisfactory for the continued use of a lightship at that location.

It is the oldest building in the Whyalla area and was used to assist ships going to Augusta and Port Pirie.

The original structure was 15 metres in height and was made from local sandstone. Its optical apparatus had an eight side catadioptric lens that revolved once every 80 seconds and gave a 2 second flash every 10 seconds. The light source was a wick burner fuelled by mineral oil. Supplies were landed by boat from Port Pirie on the opposite side of the Gulf.

After a number of incidents the height of the light was raised by 7.6 metres to its current level in 1909. At this time a kerosene vaporising light unit was installed.

The light was demanned in 1973 after the installation of a Stone Chance Power Beam Beacon on the balcony, which was powered by batteries. In 1979, the light was connected to mains electricity and the lens and lamp were upgraded in this process.

The light was turn off in 1993 by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority as it believed it was no longer necessary.


Point Lowly Lighthouse 2
The Point Lowly Lighthouse
Photograph: Whyalla Tourist Centre


Preservation

After much negotiation the lighthouse was purchased by the Whyalla City Council in 1995 with assistance from the SA State Government. Once under their control the light was re-activated.

 

Access

The lighthouse reserve is accessible to the public. The road is a sealed bitumen road from Whyalla to the lighthouse at Port Bonython. The trip takes about 20 minutes.

 

Other Point Lowly Sites

The Point Lowly Lighthouse, Whyalla


Aerial view of the Point Lowly Lighthouse
Photograph: Winsome Bonham


Special Thanks to:

  • Jenny Barnes
  • Whyalla Tourist Centre for Photographs
  • Winsome Bonham for Photograph

Sources:

  • Lighthouses of South Australia by R Parsons
  • Whyalla Tourist Centre

Page last updated:
Page created:
17/02/99
28/02/98

Site constructed by: 
Malcolm S Macdonald t/as Lighthouse Computer Training & Development (1997-2001)
Copyright All rights reserved.
1997-2001 Malcolm S Macdonald and individual contributors as acknowledged.
2002-2007 Lighthouses of Australia Inc (LoA Inc) and individual contributors as acknowledged. & Lighthouses of Australia Inc (2002-2007)