|Home||State Indexes||Bulletin||About LoA||Membership||Resources & Links||Contact LoA||Search||Sitemap|
Lighthouses of Victoria
|State Indexes > VIC > Split Point Lighthouse|
The Split Point Lighthouse
The 'White Queen' as she is affectionately known is a welcome sight for ships that have rounded Cape Otway.
Overlooking Eagle Rock the lighthouse is not only a beacon to seafarers but also to travellers on the Great Ocean Road.
|LOCATION:||Latitude <<>> S, Longitude <<>> E (Map)|
|OPERATOR:||Australian Maritime Safety Authority|
|CHARACTER:||Group flash 4 every 20 seconds|
|LIGHT SOURCE:||120v 1000w tungsten halogen lamp|
|POWER SOURCE:||Mains with diesel standby|
|INTENSITY:||White 116,000 CD, Red 23,000 CD|
|RANGE:||White 20 nautical miles, Red 16 nautical miles|
Originally called Eagles Nest Point, the lighthouse was built in 1891.
The cement rendered concrete tower has a Chance Brothers first order lantern and a 920mm focal radius lens.
The original light source was vapourised kerosene. When it was taken over by the Commonwealth Government in 1919 the light was converted to acetylene and automated. Conversion to mains electricity took place in 1972.
The nights tending lights were long and Gordon Reid tells of one keeper's solution to the problem in his book, From Dusk Till Dawn.
The Split Point Lighthouse and Eagle Rock
Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas
In March 2004, the two assistant keeper's cottages were put up for auction. Much speculation and publicity surrounded the event, and there were hundreds of people at the auction on 6 March. The auction result was reported in local newspapers, The Geelong Advertiser and The Echo - the cottages were sold for an undisclosed figure over AU$1.5 million.
Auction day at the Airey's Inlet lightkeepers cottages
Photograph: Kristie Eggleston
Split Point Lighthouse Tours
Split Point Lighthouse is managed by Eco Logic Education & Environmental Services.
Guided tours are available every weekend and during school holidays:
Tours can also be booked on weekdays with a minimum group size of 4.
Note: Children must be 5 years or over. Private access for weddings and functions is also available. Family and group discounts apply.
Tour bookings – Free call 1800 174 045
For more information, tour prices and on-line booking facilities visit: www.ecologic.net.au
The Airey's Inlet keeper's cottages and lighthouse
Photograph: Kristie Eggleston
|Changes at the White Lady||January 2005|
|Airey's Inlet Lighthouse Keepers cottages for sale||February 2004|
|Airey's Inlet visitors reach a moment of enlightenment||10 January 1998|
|Throwing light on a gem||31 December 1997|
|Airey's Inlet Lighthouse to be opened to public?||21 October 1997|
|A proposal to use the Split Point for mounting mobile phone antennas was defeated after intensive public protest in 1997.|
Split Point Lighthouse at Airey's Inlet from the air
Photograph: Winsome Bonham
News & Notices
|Changes at the White Lady||Bulletin Jan 05|
|Auction results - Split Point Lightkeepers' cottages and Swan Island||Bulletin Apr 04|
|Airey's Inlet Lighthouse keepers' cottages for sale||Bulletin Feb 04|
The Surrounding Area
Special Thanks to:
|The Split Point Lighthouse
page is sponsored by:
Lasslett Rubber and Plastics
7-11 Moore Road, Airport West VIC 3042 (PO Box 293, Niddrie VIC 3042)
Ph: 03 9338 4466 Fax: 03 9338 7939
Site constructed by: