Lighthouses of Australia Inc
Home State Indexes Bulletin About LoA Membership Resources & Links Contact LoA Search Sitemap

Lighthouses of Victoria


State Indexes > VIC > Cape Otway Lighthouse

The Cape Otway Lighthouse

The Cape Otway Lighthouse at the northern end of The Eye of The Needle was the oldest operational lighthouse with unbroken service on the mainland Australian coast until it was decommissioned in January 1994.


The Cape Otway Lighthouse
Photograph: 4C's Enterprises


Last Operation (1994)

Operation as at January 1994 when the light was turned off.

LOCATION: Latitude <<>> S, Longitude <<>> E (Map)
OPERATOR: Australian Maritime Safety Authority
CHARACTER: Triple flash every 18.0 seconds
LIGHT SOURCE: 1000W/120V 3000hr life tungsten halogen
POWER SOURCE: Mains with diesel standby
INTENSITY: White 1,000,000 CD Red 4,000 CD
ELEVATION: 91 Metres
RANGE: 26 nautical miles
HEIGHT: 20 Metres


The Cape Otway Lighthouse
Photograph: Greg Beck
History

The 84 kilometre gap between, Cape Wickham on, King Island and Cape Otway is known as the "Eye of the Needle". It is the Western entrance to Bass Strait. Sea captains would hug the Victorian coast, to avoid being driven into King Island in bad weather, resulting in many wrecks.

Access was a problem in establishing the lighthouse and after three attempts, the Cape was finally reached by land. A site was selected and after great difficulty a road was cut. Construction began in 1846 with the light being lit in August 1848 making it the second light to be established on the mainland coast.

The materials used consisted of stone quarried at the Parker River, 5 kilometres away.

The first keeper was dismissed after only three months for "interfering" with the light. He was replaced by Henry Bayles Ford, a former sea captain tended the light for 30 years. His son George Ford rode on horseback to Camperdown to get help when the Loch Ard was wrecked nearby in 1878.

The light was extremely isolated. Supplies were delivered every 6-12 months, landed at Parker River and brought overland. The only contact was with the few farmers in the area and rare official visits. Later a road was cut to Colac, but was not passable to motor vehicles until the mid 1930s.

A fixed red light was added in 1881. The power of the light was increased in 1891, in 1905 and again in 1939.

The light was decommissioned in January 1994 after being the longest continuous operating light on the Australian mainland. It has been replaced by a low powered solar light in front of the original tower. Over 3,000 people attended the ceremony to mark the turning off of the light.

Cape Otway celebrated its 150th anniversary in August 1998.



The Cape Otway Lighthouse
Photo: Eye of the Needle


The Cape Otway Lighthouse floodlit at night
Photo: Eye of the Needle


The Cape Otway Lighthouse, and the new replacement GRP cabinet in front
Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas


Access

Guided tours and accommodation are available. Admission is charged.


Aerial view of the Cape Otway Lighthouse
Photograph: Winsome Bonham


News & Features

Cape Otway Telegraph Celebrates Restoration Bulletin Oct 04
Commonwealth Heritage Listed Lighthouses Bulletin Aug 04
Otway fails to cast light on UFO flight Bulletin Jun 04
International Lighthouse Weekend Bulletin Sep 02
Cape Otway Lightstation Inspection Bulletin Aug 02
Signs of a Positive Outcome for Cape Otway Bulletin Aug 02
Local Group Expresses Concerns About Cape Otway Bulletin Jul 02
US Lighthouse Society Tours Australia - Part 2 Bulletin Jun 02
US Lighthouse Society Tours Australia - Part 1 Bulletin May 02
Lighthouses From the Air - Part 3 Bulletin Nov 01
Research on Gabo for NAA Lighthouse Exhibition Bulletin Jul 01
I Have Wrestled With This Thought For Some Time Bulletin Mar 01
Amateur Radio And Lighthouses Bulletin Mar 01
Couple Needed For Management at Cape Otway Lightstation Bulletin Jan 01
Australian Lighthouse Tour Bulletin Dec 00
Maintenance Being Carried Out on Otway Bulletin Jan 99
Restoration Work Begins at Cape Otway Signal Station Bulletin Dec 98
Cape Otway Celebrates it's 150th Anniversary Bulletin Sep 98
Otway 150th Bulletin Sep 98
Cape Otway 150th Is Upon Us! Bulletin Aug 98
More Cape Otway 150th Details Bulletin Jul 98
Parks on Parade Features Victoria's Lighthouses Bulletin Jun 98
Cape Otway 150th Details Bulletin Jun 98
Photographic Expedition Bulletin Mar 98

Letters

Cape Otway communication with Melbourne Bulletin Jun 04
Looking for Captain Thomas Musgrave, Master Mariner, F.R.G.S. Bulletin Nov 01
Shipwrecked, Jailed and Mutinied! Bulletin Nov 00

The Surrounding Area


Cape Otway Lighthouse circa 1890
Photograph: Apollo Bay Historical Society


Other Cape Otway Sites


150th Anniversary Celebrations

The Cape Otway Lighthouse celebrated its 150th anniversary in August 1998.


The Cape Otway Lighthouse decorated with flags at its 150th anniversary celebrations
Photograph: Ed Kavaliunas


Special Thanks to:

  • Apollo Bay Historical Society for Photograph
  • Ed Kavaliunas for Photographs
  • Greg Beck for Photographs
  • Eye of the Needle for Photographs
  • 4C's Enterprises for Photographs
  • Andrew Mitchell
  • Bob Adams
  • Winsome Bonham for Photograph

Sources:

  • Beacons of Hope by Donald Walker
  • From Dusk Till Dawn by Gordon Reid
  • The Lighthouses of Victoria by Dacre Smyth

Page last updated:
Page created:
16/03/05
26/01/98

Site constructed by: 
Malcolm S Macdonald t/as Lighthouse Computer Training & Development (1997-2001)
Copyright All rights reserved.
1997-2001 Malcolm S Macdonald and individual contributors as acknowledged.
2002-2007 Lighthouses of Australia Inc (LoA Inc) and individual contributors as acknowledged. & Lighthouses of Australia Inc (2002-2007)