Lighthouses of Australia Inc
Home State Indexes Bulletin About LoA Membership Resources & Links Contact LoA Search Sitemap

Lighthouses of Western Australia


State Indexes > WA > Guilderton Lighthouse

The Bathurst Lighthouse
The Guilderton Lighthouse from the air
Photograph: Winsome Bonham
The Guilderton Lighthouse

At the place where 40 guilder coins were found from a ship that was wrecked in 1656, stands the red brick lighthouse that was established in 1983.

It is the only major navigation light between Fremantle and Jurien Bay, and is also the last to be built in Western Australia.


Operation

LOCATION: Latitude 31º 20.4'S Longitude 115º 29.4'E (map)
OPERATOR: Australian Maritime Safety Authority
EXHIBITED: 1984
CONSTRUCTION: Red Brick
CHARACTER: Flashing (3) in 20.00 Secs
LIGHT SOURCE: 120v, 1000w Tungsten Halogen Lamp
POWER SOURCE: Mains supply with Diesel Standby
INTENSITY: 260,000 cd
ELEVATION: 77 Metres
RANGE: 22 nm (41 km)
HEIGHT: 30 Metres
AUTOMATED: 1984 Built as
DEMANNED: Never manned
DEACTIVATED: No
CUSTODIAN: Australian Maritime Safety Authority

The Bathurst Lighthouse
The reef off Guilderton
Photograph: Vic McCartin


The Bathurst Lighthouse
The Guilderton Lighthouse is constructed from tapered red clay bricks
Photograph: Steven Kolikow

History

In 1931, forty 17th Century silver guilder were coins found in the sand hills near the entrance to the Moore River.

They were believed to be from the wreck of the Dutch ship, the Vergulde Draeck ("Guilded Dragon") that had foundered on a reef just north of Moore River near Ledge Point in 1656

The wreck of the ship, which had been carrying a valuable cargo which included silver coins worth 185,000 guilders, was not discovered until 1963.

The township at the mouth of the Moore River had grown enough to be gazetted and named Guilderton in 1951

In 1983, the Federal Department of Transport established a lighthouse at Wreck Point, Guilderton near the river mouth at a cost of $240,000.

It was built as an automatic marine beacon and commenced operation in December of that year.

It was the only major navigation aid between Fremantle and Jurien Bay, and is also the last to be built in Western Australia.

The new tower, constructed in specially tapered red clay bricks, was 32 metres high and the base was 7.5 metres in diameter.

Placed on top was the white metal lantern house containing a triple bulls-eye lens that displayed a light that had a range of 22 nautical miles. The light is 76.75 metres above sea level.

The lighthouse has a slightly larger twin at Troubridge Hill in South Australia and both have won an architectural awards.

The Bathurst Lighthouse  
Guilderton crosscut plan

Photograph: Dept of Transport Brochure

LOCATION OF EQUIPMENT & SERVICES
Balcony Floor Lantern Room and Optics
Level 10 Equipment Room
First Floor Storage Room
Ground Level Engine Room and Wash Room

The Bathurst Lighthouse
Guilderton Lantern Room Plan
Photograph: Dept of Transport Brochure

The Bathurst Lighthouse
Guilderton Base Plan
Photograph: Dept of Transport Brochure


Access

NEAREST TOWN: Guilderton
DISTANCE: 4.5 km (Guilderton); 94 km (Perth)
ACCESS: Car from Guilderton along Forrester Rd and then Tank Rd
TOURS: No
ACCOMMODATION: No

The Surrounding Area


Features

Lighthouses From the Air: Part 4 Bulletin Dec 01

Looking to the Lantern Room Atop the Bathurst Lighthouse
The Guilderton Lighthouse
Photograph: Vic McCartin


Special Thanks to:

  • Dept of Transport Brochure for plans

  • Steven Kolikow for Photograph

  • Vic McCartin for Photographs

  • Winsome Bonham for Photograph

Sources:

  • Dept of Transport Brochure

  • Gin Gin Shire

  • Vic McCartin


Page last updated:
Page created:
5/10/03
4/10/03

Copyright  1997-2001 Lighthouse Computer Training & Development
2002-2006 Lighthouses of Australia Inc. All rights reserved